BAKERS BANANA CRÈME BRÛLÉE WITH NUTTIKRUST PRALINE
BAKERS Nuttikrust® biscuits are yummy as they are, and doubly so when mixed with all this other yummy stuff.
In this case, the magic works like a charm.
Serves 6 (makes 1 L)
- 15 g unsalted butter
- 3 bananas, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 90 g white sugar granulated white sugar
- Juice of lemon
- 750 ml fresh cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- 8 egg yolks
- 60 ml water
- 230 g castor sugar
- 80 g flaked almonds
- 100 g BAKERS Nuttikrust® biscuits, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 150˚C.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter in a medium-sized frying pan, add the bananas, and sprinkle with 15 g of the white sugar.
- Stir well to blend the sugar and butter. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. The bananas should be lightly caramelized (about 10 minutes).
- Mash the bananas with the back of a wooden spoon. Add the lemon juice to the banana, remove from heat, divide among 6 wide, shallow crème brûlée dishes or ramekins, allow to cool. Place the cream in a pot, split the vanilla bean lengthways, and scrape the seeds into the cream with the tip of a knife.
- Add the scraped-out vanilla bean, and bring the cream to a simmer. Place the egg yolks and the remaining 75 g white sugar into a large heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Stir until the mixture becomes fairly thick (about 15 minutes).
- Using a sieve, strain the hot cream over the eggs, and stir the mixture over simmering water for 10 minutes until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat, and ladle over the cooled banana puree in the 6 dishes (160 ml each).
- Place the dishes in a roasting pan, and fill the pan with enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the dishes. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until there is a slight wobble when tapped and the custard is just set. Remove the dishes from the pan, and chill them for at least 3 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Place the water into a medium-sized pot then add the sugar, heat the pot on low until the sugar has dissolved. Turn the heat up to medium and bring sugar to a boil. Heat sugar until a caramel color is reached and just begins to smoke. Immediately remove from heat and add the almonds and crushed BAKERS Nuttikrust® biscuits.
- Pour the mixture out onto a lined baking tray and spread quite thin using a palette knife and allow it to cool.
- Using a wooden rolling pin or pestle, break the praline into shards and top the brûlées just before serving.