Traditional Ossewa Boerewors
Authentic South African Recipe
Typically arrives within 3-8 working days.
Boerewors is a South African fresh sausage that is perfect for the grill. The name means “farmer’s sausage” and comes from a combination of the Afrikaans words boer (‘farmer’) and wors (‘sausage’).
What makes Boerewors different?
Like most sausages, there are specifics about the way boerewors should be made.
It must be made up of at least 90% meat, with the remaining 10% being spices, seasonings, and preservatives like vinegar and salt. The sausages must contain beef, but can also include some pork or lamb. And, no more than 30% of the meat content may be made up of fat.
Boerewors seasoning characteristically includes coriander, black pepper, nutmeg, and allspice, along with dark vinegar (malt vinegar). The vinegar and salt act to preserve the sausages as well as adding flavor.
This combination of spices and vinegar creates a unique flavor that is very characteristic of South African cuisine
What makes boerewors stand out, in addition to its unique flavor, is the way the meat is ground.
Boerewors is a course-ground sausage, giving it a more chunky and coarse texture, rather than the fine and smooth texture that you may be used to from, say, a German wurst.